I am convinced that there are certain illnesses which can immediately be cured by a big bowl of Chicken and Dumplings.
If you are terrified about making them completely from scratch, consider these tips that can help you have it ready in under 30 minutes:
- Keep a stash of homemade chicken stock in the freezer. Using the microwave, thaw it just enough to remove it from the container and then place it in the stock pot.
- If you have frozen chicken stock, you probably have frozen chicken too. That is a huge time saver!
- Put together your own homemade baking mix and keep it in your pantry in an air-tight container.
Almost Scratch Chicken and Dumplings
- 6 to 8 cups homemade chicken stock depending on how thick you prefer your broth to be
- 3 cups cooked chicken coarsely chopped
- 2 1/4 cup homemade baking mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Bring chicken stock to a boil. Add the chicken, salt, and pepper. Return to a boil.
- Meanwhile, mix the baking mix with milk. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead just until blended. Roll out flat (to about 1/4 inch) and using a pizza cutter, slice into 1 inch strips about 2 inches long.
- Drop dumplings into boiling broth one at a time, stirring as needed. Cover, reduce heat slightly, and boil for 15 to 20 minutes.