There are staples in every southern kitchen: tea, sugar, and buttermilk.Without one of these items in your pantry, your neighbors might think you aren’t feeling well.
Of course, you can always sour some milk by adding a teaspoon of vinegar and letting it sit for five minutes… or you could run to the store for the real thing and have buttermilk pancakes for breakfast the next morning too.
Buttermilk Cornbread Muffins
- Vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Pour 1 tablespoon vegetable oil into each well of a muffin tin and place in the oven until the oven is preheated to 400 degrees.
- Put the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
- In another bowl or large mixing cup, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.
- Add the buttermilk and egg mixture to the dry ingredients. Stir together with a spoon until moistened. The batter will be lumpy.
- Carefully remove the muffin tin from the oven. Use a large scoop to place heaping mounds of batter into the muffin tin wells, evenly distributing the batter. Cook in oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
- Mix together honey and melted butter. Brush the mixture over the tops of the muffins. Remove the muffins from the muffin pan and rest on paper toweling. Serve warm.
- Makes 12 large muffins.