Fall means great food and this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a perfect fit for the season. Have a bowl for a mid-week dinner or invite friends over for a football party. Chicken Tortilla Soup is an easy way to fill up hungry bellies.
As the weather cools and the sounds from this week’s football game fill my living room, I am looking for a hearty bowl of steaming Chicken Tortilla Soup. If I can make it in the slow cooker, even better! Watching the game with neighbors and listening to our children play in the front yard while this easy soup recipe is bubbling away in the crock pot. Divine!
Hosting a football fiesta with Chicken Tortilla Soup
Getting together with neighbors to watch football makes the game even more fun, but don’t end up stranded in the kitchen while your team battles it out for victory. They need you cheering them on!
Plan to make a slow cooker full of Chicken Tortilla Soup and ask everyone to bring a side dish or snack to go with it. Picking a theme and letting your guests choose what they want bring makes sure everyone can nibble their favorites.
I love this soup paired with over-stuffed baked potatoes, 7 Layer Dip and tortilla chips, or sausage balls.
How to Make Chicken Tortilla Soup
If you have tasted Chicken Tortilla Soup, you might wonder how you can make it just as thick and cheesy. I think the key is corn starch and cheddar but I have discovered a super-simple way to achieve that same delicious texture.
Stir in a jar of Old El Paso Cheese ‘n Salsa Dip before you are ready to dish out the steaming bowls full of Chicken Tortilla Soup. Mix it in completely and let the slow cooker continue to bubble for a few minutes with the lid removed.
While I putter around the kitchen, pulling together the last few items for the party, these corn starch in the cheese dip is doing some magic on my Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Cook’s Note: Don’t have time for the crock pot? You can easily make this recipe on the store top in less than 30 minutes. Just use cooked chicken instead of raw chicken breasts and follow the sequence in the recipe, using a stock pot over medium-high heat. Delicious!
Topping your Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a simple recipe although packed with flavor.
And, as if it were possible, this tantalizing soup gets even better when topped with goodies like avocados, cheese, chopped red onion, and fresh cilantro.
Other great toppings include:
- Old El Paso Salsa
- Sliced green onions
- Diced green pepper
- Did I mention avocados?
- Queso Fresco
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Sliced jalapeños
Need more inspiration? Let these Guacamole and Taco recipes prompt your creativity and make your own unique versions with fresh ingredients, toppings, other finger foods.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 or 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup 1 packet Old El Paso Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 10 ounce can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 large or 2 small onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 zucchini cut in half length-wise and sliced, optional
- 2 cups chicken stock water or beef broth (I use chicken stock)
- 1 jar Old El Paso Cheese ‘n Salsa Dip
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil in the bottom of slow cooker. Lay chicken on the olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning mix.
- Add canned tomatoes, black beans, corn, and enchilada sauce to the slow cooker
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onions, garlic, and red pepper until softened. Add to slow cooker.
- If desired, top with zucchini and then pour chicken stock over all.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Carefully remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks. Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in with cheese dip.
- Serve with various toppings.