Easter Peeps Chocolate Cookies are an easy Easter dessert recipe that will thrill children (of all ages).
Easter is a holiday where we celebrate family, life, and the gift of salvation given by our risen Savior. None of which have anything to do with Peeps… and yet… these marshmallow chicks find a way into our Easter desserts and decorations every year.
If you are familiar with cake mix cookies, then you know how simple this recipe is. And the children will love helping mix and shape the cookies.
Even younger children can help decorate.
Peeps Chocolate Cookies Nesting Alternatives
To give the cookies a S’more flavor, you can use crushed graham crackers over the icing to create a nest for the Peep chick.
Prefer a salty-sweet treat? Use pretzel sticks to build a nest.
If you think coconut and Easter are a perfect match, lightly toast coconut in a warm oven (stirring often). Allow it to cool completely before topping the cookie.
Easter Peeps Chocolate Cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 Betty Crocker yellow cookie icing pouch
- 18 marshmallow peeps
- 1/2 cup jelly beans
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 baking/cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the cake mix, eggs and vegetable oil. Mix until well blended.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheets at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake in 350°preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Place cookie sheets on wire racks to cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to wire racks to completely cool.
- Ice each cookie with the yellow cookie icing squeeze pouch.
- Before the icing dries, place a marshmallow peep on top of each cookie.
- Sprinkle a few jelly beans next to each peep.