When I moved away from home to Texas, Easy Shepherds Pie was the first recipe I called my mother and requested.
Living in a larger city nine hours (if I was speeding) from home was not a pleasant experience for me, and I longed for the comfort foods from home.
Shepherds Pie reminded me of the cozy warmth around my mother’s table and laughing as we talked about the details of our day.
I have made few substitutions to my mother’s classic recipe, but I am sure you could make a healthier version using mashed cauliflower and by making your own gravy. However, as it is, this Shepherds Pie recipe is simple and fast, especially if you already have your ground beef cooked.
I have even made more than one of these casseroles at a time by doubling the recipe and place the extra in the freezer to have later in the month or to give to a friend. Why not share this comforting meal?
Easy Shepherds Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cups ground beef browned and drained
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- 1 18 ounce jar beef gravy
- 2 cups garlic mashed potatoes
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet or cast iron skillet placed over medium high heat. When the oil shimmers, add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring as needed, until softened.
- Stir in ground beef, mixed vegetables, and beef gravy. Heat vegetables through.
- Remove skillet from heat and top with mashed potatoes and then cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted.