Being dedicated to living a frugal life means lots of beans and rice, but that doesn’t need to be as boring as it sounds. Like this Vegetarian Chili Mac, sometimes you just need to be a little creative.
You could make this dish with either canned beans (rinsed well) or dry beans, prepared and frozen.
If your husband rolls his eyes at the thought of a meatless dinner, precook your beans in beef stock so he gets the flavor and leave the beans slightly under-cooked so they are not mushy.
Vegetarian Chili Mac
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes in juice
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder depending on preference
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups prepared kidney beans
- 2 cups elbow macaroni cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- Cilantro minced for garnish
- Add olive oil to large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, onions, and garlic. Saute until slightly softened, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, spices, and kidney beans. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Cook until the beans are the consistency you prefer. Add macaroni and stir together.
- Top with cheese and cilantro if desired.